Staten Island Car Accident Lawyers Make Your Life Easier
Went through a traumatic car accident accompanied by tons of expenses? Looking to claim for some damages? Or do you want to know how to legally proceed in case of a personal injury car accident incident? Either way, Sgarlato has the best Staten Island car accident lawyers and legal advice to help you out.
Types of Auto Accidents We Cover at Sgarlato
- Rear-End Collisions: When your car hits another vehicle from the back or gets hit by a vehicle on the rear-end.
- Side-Impact Collisions: If a vehicle collides with your car from the left or the right side and causes damage, it is a side-impact collision.
- Head-On Collisions: These collisions happen when two vehicles approaching each other in opposite directions bang head-on at one another.
- Sideswipe Accidents: This happens when two or multiple vehicles are traveling parallel to each other, and one of them strikes the side of one or more vehicles.
- Single-Vehicle Accidents: Such crashes are common and result from a car driver striking some item, person, or animal in their path.
- Rollover Accidents: This type of accident involves completely flipped vehicles due to a collision with a vehicle or an item.
- Merging Accidents: Merging accidents occur when an automobile merges into a crowded traffic lane and cannot match the traffic’s speed.
- Low-Speed Accidents: These are collisions that happen with vehicles at low speeds. Even at low speeds, cars and SUVs weighing around 3,000 pounds and 6,000 pounds can cause substantial damage.
- Multi-Vehicle Accidents: Accidents involving three or more vehicles, wherein a chain of rear-end collisions falls in this category.
- Blind Spot Accidents: drivers failing to properly examine their blind spots often result in terrible blind spot accidents that may or may not involve another vehicle.
Every year, roughly 1000 people lose their lives due to car accidents in New York. Many more experience accidents that result in critical injuries and health conditions. While automobile accidents leave you feeling emotionally chaotic and physically sore, if they were caused due to the recklessness of a third party, you can claim compensation for the damages involved.
In such times, it is wise to get the help of an expert personal injury lawyer in Staten Island. Sgarlato & Sgarlato has been serving Staten Island with the finest legal advice and qualified Staten Island car accident lawyers for years.
Steps to take after a car accident in Staten Island
- Get Medical Help: If you or anyone else in the car has been injured, get medical assistance immediately. Make sure to follow the doctor’s instructions, and implement the treatment procedure. Complying with the doctor’s guidance also helps you in your car accident case if you proceed with it.
- Get Information: If the accident involves multiple cars, talk to other people involved. Try to get as much information as possible so you can present a detailed account to your Staten Island accident lawyer later.
- Take Pictures of the Scene: Take multiple photographs of the accident and the surrounding area. Skid marks, traffic signs, broken items, and anything else- capture it all. The more evidence you have, the better case your accident lawyer Staten Island will be able to make.
- Cooperate with the Police: When the police officers approach you, be honest. Give a detailed account of the accident, and try to answer every question to the best of your ability.
- Get the Report’s Copy: Do ask the police for a copy of the report. It offers great insight into what all the parties involved in the accident have to say, including the statement of the negligent party.
- Get Contact Information of Witnesses: Probably, there will be a witness or two who may have some important information that wasn’t recorded in the police report. Speak with them, get their contact information and stay in touch. You may need their help later once you hire an auto accident lawyer Staten Island.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Get in touch with your insurance company and ask them about the procedure to claim insurance. Try to give them an honest and thorough account of the accident so they can help you out in the best possible manner.
- Get a Car Accident Lawyer Staten Island: An intelligent move is to hire an expert Staten Island accident lawyer immediately. Your attorney helps build your case, file for claims, represent you in court and ensure you get fair compensation for the damages you endured.
Should You Call Your Insurance or Car Accident Lawyer After An Accident?
Well, honestly, you should call them both. It’s important to inform your car insurance company so they can help you get the insurance claim. Simultaneously, you should get the help of good Staten Island car accident lawyers and find a good attorney. Your lawyer will build your case and ensure you get a reasonable settlement and compensation if the case goes to court.
However, if the question is about whom you should call first, it is best to call your auto accident lawyer in Staten Island before dialing your insurance company’s number. Why, you may ask? That’s because the insurance company may try to offer you unfair compensation. On the other hand, your car accident lawyer, Staten Island, will offer you astute advice and assist you in attaining fair compensation.
Common Causes of Accidents in Staten Island
Changing lanes in an unsafe manner
Vehicles following each other too closely
Lack of focus by the driver
Not checking the blind spots
Inability to yield right of way
Types of Injuries Caused by Auto Accidents Entitled to Compensation
Ankle and knee injuries
Spinal cord injuries
Traumatic brain injuries
Severe lacerations and cuts
Wrist, elbow, and shoulder injuries
Damages Claimable for Injuries Caused in Car Accidents
There is a wide range of claimable damages for the injuries and pain you suffer from in a car accident. Depending on how tactfully your accident lawyer Staten Island prepares your case, you can claim compensation for the following damages:
- Cost of medicine
- All medical and hospital bills
- Medical expenses related to diagnostic tests, medical consultation, doctor’s fees, etc.
- Emotional pain
- Anxiety, depression, and any mental health condition that is triggered by the accident
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Any transportation charges involve commuting to the hospital, work, physiotherapy center, etc.
- Loss of relationships and the anguish it brings
- Any job loss in the present or any expected in the future
- Costs involved in preparing the house to be comfortable for moving on a wheelchair or in any other way needed by the victim after their injuries due to the accident
Statute of Limitation
Injuries arising from car accidents fall under the category of personal injury cases. According to the New York Civil Practice Law & Rules, the statute of limitations for injuries caused by car accidents is three years from the exact date of the car accident.
It means that you can file a case and claim compensation for the injuries you experienced in a personal injury case due to a car accident from when you experienced the accident to three years. Once that period ends, you are not eligible to file your case.
That said, different exceptions do arise. To best understand the statute of limitation applicable in your case, consult with the top-notch Staten Island car accident lawyers at Sgarlato & Sgarlato.
Role of a Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident lawyer in Staten Island plays quite a pivotal role in your injury case due to an automobile accident you faced. Here’s how your lawyer can assist you.
- Investigate your entire case
- Gather reasonable evidence
- Ensure you don’t accept any unfair settlement from the opposing party
- Help you get your rightful car insurance claims
- Help you establish liability
- Refrain you from making any move that may prove unfavorable for you
- Represent you in court
- Guide you and fight your case to help you get the fair compensation you deserve
Contact Expert Staten Island Car Accident Lawyers Today
We understand how difficult a car accident can make your life. The injuries, pain, and trauma in themselves are quite overwhelming. Combine that with all the expenses involved, and life sure does become tougher on a whole new level. Let us ease your pain a bit.
The brilliant Staten Island car accident lawyers at Sgarlato are here to guide you every step of the way. We will ensure you obtain the compensation you deserve to manage your expenses better.
Talk to our experts. We want to help you!