Carbon Monoxide- Is Your Boiler Damaging Your Health?
Published on:November 26, 2018


There are plenty of homes and businesses in New York State that are heated by a boiler system. People often choose boilers because they are energy and cost efficient, and they tend to heat more evenly. But there is a dark side to boilers that could change your mind on how your boiler is affecting your health.

Amanda’s Law

On May 7, 2010, New York State introduced Amanda’s Law which mandates that every one and two-family residential structure in New York State must have one carbon monoxide detector outside every bedroom. The law was created in response to the death of Amanda Hansen who passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping at a friend’s house. The source of the deadly carbon monoxide was the home’s boiler.

The Real Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas given off by defective gas appliances that can kill everyone in the home overnight. In some cases, the carbon monoxide leaks slowly and starts making people in the house sick. But at some point, the leak will expand and become deadly. Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, which means it is a killer you never see coming. The only way to detect carbon monoxide gas is with CO detectors, which is why Amanda’s Law was created.

What Can You Do?

It is important to get your boiler inspected by a certified expert at least once a year. In New York State, it would not hurt to have it inspected twice a year because of how much use it gets in the winter. When your inspection technician gives you advice for repairs or replacement needs, you should take that advice to heart and get the work done.

You should also make sure that you read and abide by Amanda’s Law. You should have a CO detector outside every bedroom in your home, and you should replace those CO detectors every five years to make sure they are always working properly.

Monitoring Family Health

If several members of your household suddenly become ill for what seems like no reason, then that is a sign that you need to spring into action. You should not only get your family members to a doctor right away, but you should install CO detectors immediately to make sure that the problem is not a faulty boiler. It does not take long for a leaky boiler to become a fatal problem for the people living in your home. The sooner you act on behalf of your family’s good health, the better chance you have of saving lives.

Amanda’s Law was put into effect because your faulty boiler could be affecting your health. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very real threat to any home that has gas appliances, and installing CO detectors is the only way you can tell if your family is in danger. You should get your boiler inspected every year by an expert and you should install CO detectors in your home to make sure that your family is always safe.