From time to time, everybody slips. Typically, it’s no big deal and we can move forward with our lives. However, in certain cases, a slip can be dangerous and even deadly. In fact, one of the primary causes of injury in the United States is due to falling, resulting in nearly 9 million hospitalizations each year. A slip and fall injury cannot only be physically devastating, but financially crippling as well. Fortunately, there are lawyers dedicated to helping you get the money you need to pay for your injuries.
When to Call a Lawyer
The first step in identifying whether a lawyer can help you is by identifying the circumstances of the injury. A lawyer can only help you if sufficient evidence can be shown that another person is responsible for your injuries.
Another person is responsible for your injuries if:
- The fell occurred on somebody else’s property or on public property.
- The fell occurred due to negligence on behalf of the property owner or employee, such as improper grounds maintenance, failure to promptly mop up spills, or failure to put out a sign indicating wet floors.
- You were practicing standard caution at the time of the injury, but the fall was inevitable due to unsafe or hazardous conditions.
Only if you can identify all three of these factors as true can a lawyer be of assistance in your case. If an accident occurs on your own property, or if it can be shown that the accident occurred due to your own negligence or carelessness, then a lawyer won’t be able to hold another party accountable for your injuries.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Slip and Fall Accident
In order to ensure the greatest chances of success, you need to be ready to provide sufficient evidence to the courts. For that reason, it’s essential to thoroughly account for the injury as it occurs. By neglecting to take proper action at the time of injury, you are decreasing the likelihood of success at your court hearing. To ensure the highest likelihood of success, here are the steps you need to take.
- Take note of your surroundings, including the hazardous conditions that contributed to your fall.
- Take pictures of the scene to verify the conditions.
- Keep the footwear and clothing you were wearing as evidence.
- Write down the contact information of the property owner, as well as employees who were there at the time of your injury.
- Record the contact information of any witnesses that were present at the time of your injury.
- Visit a doctor immediately and have them make note of your specific injuries.
In order to maintain safe conditions for all citizens, it’s essential that store and property owners be continually held accountable for their negligent actions. If you are the victim of a slip and fall injury, it’s imperative that you record all details of the case, and contact a lawyer immediately. They will be able to help you get the money you deserve to help cover your hospital fees.