Slip & Fall Accidents
Staten Island Slip and Fall accident lawyer
Slip and fall accidents are among the most common personal injury cases in the U.S. They can occur when fluids or ice cover the ground where people walk on. Slip and fall accidents can cause injuries to the back of the head, neck, and back. These injuries can be severe and can affect the overall quality of life.
It is the responsibility of each property owner to ensure a safe environment for the public. If a property owner fails to provide a safe environment and has a slippery ground, they could be causing many people to face a fall which could lead to multiple injuries.
If you or a loved one has experienced a slip and fall due to someone else’s negligence, you will need an experienced Staten Island personal injury lawyer to fight on your behalf. You or a loved one may be entitled to collecting damages from a slip and fall injury.
Here at Sgarlato & Sgarlato, we have the expertise to help you get the best possible results for your case. We care about each client and we work hard to get the facts together that will help your case. We are discreet, but we are comprehensive. Our team is here to fight for what you and your family deserve. As you take the time to recover from your injuries, Sgarlato & Sgarlato will do their very best for you.
If you have a Staten Island slip and fall accident case and have questions, please feel free to give us a call. We will be right beside you during this difficult time.
Call Sgarlato & Sgarlato and let us fight for you and make sure that your voice is heard in your personal injury case.
Legal Steps to Take After A Slip & Fall Accident
Any slip and falls followed by injuries due to the property owner’s carelessness and negligence give the right to the injured individual to seek compensation for any loss, trauma, and medical expenses involved. The property owner and the insurance company will likely dispute the claim. To resolve the matter, it is best to get the expertise of a qualified Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer.
- Get Medical Treatment Immediately: First things first- if you had a fall and slip accident, don’t delay getting medical help. Even if the injuries don’t appear severe, it is best to seek professional medical help. The doctor’s examination will cement the fact that you had a slip and fall accident that caused your injuries. This will be your primary evidence if you make a claim for compensations. Follow the doctor’s instructions for treatment. Failing to obtain the ordered treatment can give the opposing side a chance to argue that you didn’t get hurt.
- Report the Accident: Make sure to report your accident. If your slip happened at a business facility, ensure the management knows of it. Also, request a copy of the accident’s report. In case the police were summoned, inquire about how to get the report’s copy.
- Take Photos of the Injury and the Facility: Do take as many photos as possible of the site of the accident. Get wide shots from different angles of the site where you fell. If the site had a hazard, and there were no warning signs placed, make sure to capture that in your camera. Moreover, take pictures of your injury, bruises, cast, bandages, and anything else that proves your injury. This evidence would help your Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer make a strong case.
- Maintain Your Case File: Save every document related to your case. This includes medical bills, any record of any accident-related expense, records pertaining to losses incurred due to being absent from work, correspondence with the insurance companies, and the likes. Also, write a detailed account of how the accident happened, anything that led up to the fall, and any other details involved.
- Retain Clothes and Shoes: Keep the clothes, shoes and accessories you wore on the day of your fall safe with you. Do not clean or wash them. Any sort of dirt, blood or damage on the clothes, shoes and other items can be used as proof to show the seriousness of the fall and your injury. Your Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer will appreciate that you saved all this proof.
- Don’t Accept or Assign Blame: Establishing any sort of fault in a fall and slip accident demands an investigation. This is why it is important you don’t assign blame, or accept it until professionals thoroughly review the case. Even if the property owner or their insurance company bothers you to accept or assign blame, refrain from doing so.
- Get Legal Help: An expert Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer can be your knight in shining armor in this entire scenario. Make sure to find one right away. Your lawyer will build your case, take care of the legal proceedings, and also guide you on how to deal with the property owner, their insurance company, and their lawyer. Moreover, your Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer will also ensure you win the case, and get your rightful compensation.
Role of a Slip and Fall Accident Laywer in Staten Island
- Establish Liability: Your Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer will assess your case in detail to determine as well as demonstrate liability on the property owner’s part. Once the cause of the fall is investigated, making claims becomes easier.
- Safeguard Your Rights: Insurance companies rush to offer a quick settlement soon after the victim’s compensation claim. Your Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer can keep you from accepting an unreasonable and unfair settlement. He/ she will ensure accounts for all the losses you experienced in the present, and those you may struggle with in the future.
- Represent You in Trial: in case the negotiations with the property owner and insurance company end in vain, your Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer will assist you in filing a personal injury lawsuit. Your lawyer will make sure you comply with any legal deadlines, and also handle all the paperwork.
The role of a slip and fall accident lawyer is to basically help you get the licit compensation you deserve following your slip and fall accident. To achieve this, your lawyer will investigate your case, gather all the evidence, and advocate on your behalf.
To sum it up, with a professional and expert Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer, your chances of getting a good settlement after your fall and slip accident increase.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Uneven and Wet Floors
Flooring conditions are amongst the leading causes of all the fall and slip accidents. These include:
- Loose flooring, mats or rugs, including the ones on stairs
- Uneven pavement, surfaces and flooring without any warning signs
- Not using enough barriers to block the areas of wet flooring
- Recently polished or waxed floors
- Broken, worn or bulging carpeting
- Unsalted icy surfaces
- Objects caught in rugs or carpets that can catch on shoes
- Spills that aren’t cleaned
- Splashed oil or grease that isn’t cleaned
- Potholes in parking lots
Improper Safety Practices
Individuals in some occupations have the risk of experiencing fall and slip accidents in case proper safety measures are not followed. These include:
- Manual laborers
- Factory workers
- Kitchen Staff
- Custodial staff
- Construction industry workers
Different environmental conditions can also cause fall and slip accidents. These hazards mainly include:
- Flooring transitions- moving from one material of flooring to another
- Bright lighting that can cause glare on the shiny floors
- Open drawers and cabinets
- Trash or debris on floor
- Poor lighting that prevents individuals from seeing hazards
- Cords messed up across walkways
Unsafe Stairs and Ladders
Unsafe stairs and ladders easily pave the way for fall and slip accidents. Different hazardous situations in this category are likely to include:
- Warped or worn out steps
- No handrails
- Ladders that aren’t secured while being used
- Trash or debris on stairs
- Using furniture instead of a ladder
- Polished or waxed stairs without the non-skid surfaces
Common Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents
Spinal cord injuries
Traumatic brain injuries
Ankle and knee injuries
Severe lacerations and cuts
Wrist, elbow and shoulder injuries
Understanding the Statue of Limitation
The statute of limitations for fall and slip lawsuits falls in the category of personal injury lawsuits. In most of cases, this means that the statute of limitation is two years. Basically, this means that you can file for claims following your slip and fall accident from the exact date of the accident to two years from it. Once the two-year time period passes, you are not eligible to file for claims anymore.
Having said that, every case has its own uniqueness, and there are certain exceptions. A wise move would be to consult your case with an expert Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer at Sgarlato & Sgarlato.
As soon as you have a fall and slip accident, seek professional medical help. Your next move should be to get a consultation from an experienced Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer to build your case and file for claims.
Different Types of Compensations You Can Claim For Your Slip and Fall Accident
A fall and slip injury is not only painful but comes with a lot of expenses and trauma too. With the help of a good Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer, you can get the following types of compensation for your accident.
- Hospital and medical bills
- Medical expenses including diagnostic tests, doctor’s fees, prescriptions, etc.
- Ongoing physical therapy
- Medicine costs
- Emotional trauma and scarring
- attendant/ nurse care
- Loss of enthusiasm and enjoyment of life
- Transportation charges for moving to and fro the physiotherapy center, doctor’s clinic, hospital, etc.
- Loss of income, both existing as well as future
- Compensation for the time and effort involved by any family members caring for the injured individual
- Breakdown of close relationships
- The cost incurred in making the home accessible and wheelchair-friendly
What Sgarlato Can Do For You in Your Slip and Fall Accidents
Sgarlato & Sgarlato was created with the aim of helping people fight for, and attain their rights. We specialize in helping people claim their lawful compensation for slip and fall accidents.
Your Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer from Sgarlato will help you understand your situation, fully investigate your case, establish liability, refrain you from making an unfair settlement, build your entire case, represent you in the court of law, and do his/ her best in ensuring you get fair compensation for any injuries caused by your fall and slip accident.
With the Staten Island slip and fall accident lawyer from Sgarlato by your side, you will certainly get your rights!