If you have lost a loved one in Staten Island due to someone else's negligence, you may be eligible for compensation through a wrongful death claim. Although no amount of money can bring your loved one back, it can help ease the financial burden during your grieving process.
During this difficult time, you can rely on the compassionate Staten Island Wrongful Death Attorney at Sgarlato & Sgarlato to support you. Whether your loved one's death resulted from an accident, medical malpractice, or wrongful act, we are here to help.
We offer a free consultation, and there is no obligation to seek our assistance.
You Deserve an Experienced Staten Island Wrongful Death Lawyer
Number of Wrongful Death Lawyers: In Staten Island, there are experienced wrongful death lawyers who are equipped to handle cases involving the untimely loss of a loved one due to negligence or wrongful actions. These lawyers specialize in providing legal assistance and support to families seeking justice for their deceased family members.
Do I Have a Wrongful Death Case?
Criteria for Wrongful Death Cases: Families in Staten Island who have lost a loved one due to the negligence or wrongful actions of another party may have grounds for a wrongful death case. A skilled wrongful death lawyer will assess the specific circumstances surrounding the death to determine if there are valid legal grounds for pursuing a claim. To read some more about wrong death statistics, see here
These are the top 5 wrongful death cases in Staten Island:
- Car Accidents: Wrongful death claims can arise when a person is killed in a car accident caused by another driver's negligence or recklessness.
- Medical Malpractice: If medical negligence or errors lead to a patient's death, their family may pursue a wrongful death claim against the healthcare provider or facility.
- Workplace Accidents: In cases of fatal workplace accidents, families may file wrongful death claims if the employer or a third party's negligence contributed to the death.
- Defective Products: Wrongful death claims can occur if a person dies due to using a defective or dangerous product.
- Premises Liability: If a property owner's negligence, such as failure to maintain a safe environment, leads to a fatal accident, a wrongful death claim may be pursued.
Losing a loved one due to the negligence or wrongful actions of another party can be devastating. At Sgarlato & Sgarlato, we understand the pain and hardship families face during these challenging times. If you have lost a family member under such circumstances, you may have grounds for a wrongful death case in Staten Island.
As experienced Staten Island Wrongful Death Attorney, we carefully assess each case to determine if there are valid legal grounds for pursuing a claim. The following are the top 5 wrongful death cases we commonly handle in Staten Island:
- Car Accidents: Tragic fatalities can result from car accidents caused by another driver's negligence or recklessness. Our compassionate team provides support and guidance while seeking justice and compensation for your loss.
- Medical Malpractice: When medical negligence or errors lead to the untimely death of a patient, we advocate for the family to hold the healthcare provider or facility accountable for their actions.
- Workplace Accidents: Fatal workplace accidents are a devastating reality. Our dedicated attorneys investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident and pursue wrongful death claims against negligent employers or third parties.
- Defective Products: Wrongful death claims can arise when a defective or dangerous product causes fatal harm to a loved one. We fight vigorously for your rights and seek compensation from responsible parties.
- Premises Liability: If a property owner's negligence results in a fatal accident, such as slip and falls or unsafe conditions, we strive to obtain justice for your family through a wrongful death claim.
At Sgarlato & Sgarlato, we are committed to providing compassionate and personalized legal representation to families affected by wrongful death in Staten Island. Our team of experienced attorneys is here to help you navigate the legal process and seek the compensation you deserve while you focus on healing and remembering your loved one's memory.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Staten Island?
Eligibility for Filing a Wrongful Death Claim: In Staten Island, certain family members are eligible to file a wrongful death claim, seeking compensation for their loss. Eligible parties may include immediate family members such as spouses, children, and parents, depending on the specific laws and regulations in the state.
What Compensation Can I Get With a Wrongful Death Claim?
Types of Compensation Available: Families who successfully pursue a wrongful death claim in Staten Island may be entitled to various types of compensation. This compensation may include economic damages such as medical expenses, funeral costs, and lost financial support, as well as non-economic damages for pain and suffering, loss of companionship, and emotional distress.
These are the top 5 types of Compensation for Wrongful Death Cases:
- Funeral and Burial Expenses: Compensation may cover the costs of funeral and burial expenses, helping the family manage the financial burden associated with laying their loved one to rest.
- Medical Expenses: If the deceased received medical treatment before passing away, compensation may include reimbursement for medical expenses incurred as a result of the injuries leading to their death.
- Loss of Financial Support: Families may be entitled to compensation for the loss of financial support the deceased provided, including lost wages and future earnings.
- Loss of Consortium: Wrongful death claims can address the emotional impact on surviving family members, including the loss of companionship, guidance, and support the deceased would have provided.
- Pain and Suffering: While compensation cannot replace the loss of a loved one, it can account for the pain and suffering experienced by the deceased before their passing and the emotional distress endured by surviving family members.
At Sgarlato & Sgarlato, we understand the profound emotional and financial toll that wrongful death cases can have on families in Staten Island. When pursuing a wrongful death claim, families may be eligible for various types of compensation to help ease their burden.
It's not uncommon for the person who was killed in an accident to be blamed for their own death. However, in some cases, it may be true that your loved one's negligence contributed to their fatal accident. This doesn't automatically mean that you won't be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit and recover compensation, but it may affect the amount you can recover.
In Staten Island, liability is allocated to everyone who shares the blame in a comparative negligence system. If your loved one was partially at fault for their fatal accident, your damages would be reduced to reflect their contribution. For instance, if they were found to be 25 percent responsible, your wrongful death damages would be reduced by 25 percent.
If insurers or at-fault parties are trying to blame your loved one, don't hesitate to call the experienced wrongful death attorneys at Sgarlato & Sgarlato for help. We'll do everything we can to minimize their role in the accident. The less fault attributed to them, the more money you may be able to recover. Contact us for a free consultation.
Have you lost a loved one due to a fatal accident in Staten Island? At Sgarlato & Sgarlato, we understand the pain and hardship that comes with such a loss. Our experienced attorneys are dedicated to helping families like yours obtain the compensation they deserve.
We offer a free consultation to discuss your legal options and can represent clients throughout Staten Island, including Brooklyn, the Bronx, Long Island, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens. Contact us
today to schedule your consultation and let us help you through this difficult time.